Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Trent University and its Constant Rebellion

The Trent Student Body always has one constant attribbute; the need to debate, petition and boycott at least one thing at all times during the school year. While I do feel this is often unnecessary and a waste of time for most students, I don't know what to say for those in the International Devlopment Programs and Political Studies programs. While nothing usually results from the actions of these students, it would be a nice addition to a resume for the students in those respective programs to say they have played a major role in one or more student groups that partake in these activities. This is because they are partaking in activities related to their field of focus. As for the others that partake in these activities (which I will say are most of these students), shouldn't you be spending your time doing your readings and going to class?? Putting a button on that says to lower tuition fees doesn't bother me, but rallying at a government building has not from what I've seen worked. In fact, it seems as if they haven't done anything except get publicity in the local paper, and piss a good number of people off. This makes the Trent Student Body appear like a bunch of Hippies, and makes me wonder if less people are attracted to Trent each year because of this image (it was documented this year that enrolment was way down this year than in past years).
Like my friend Cory Snoddon put it to me, "It just seems like its one thing after another at that school." Couldn't agree more buddy.
Now where would the world be without protests? I don't know. Large scale, non-violent protests have assisted in breaking the race barrier and assisted greatly in women finally obtaining equal rights (though we are by no means at point where we can say women have been given absolute justice). But let's remember that these are large-scale protests and not Trent protests.
I don't feel as if I have the right to say whether or not someone should partake in these activities, but am simply placing my opinion on the matter. I find my free time better spent excercising my body and relaxing from the rigours of school. I also have a job on the side, as do I'm assuming many of the students who don't partake in these activities at Trent. So basically I'm thinking spend your time making money to pay your tuition rather than complaining about the cost of it. These petitions, appeals and boycotts are for the most part during business hours anyway.

1 comment:

Cory Snoddon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.